[pct-l] Self-Arrest

Andrew McDavid andrew.n.mcdavid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:22:52 CDT 2007

The context I have generally seen the whippet used is for backcountry
skiing/ski mountaineering in which one cannot hold an ax.  For that purpose,
it is clearly better than nothing, and undoubtedly safer than trying to ski
down some icy col with an ax flying wildly in hand.

But as others have pointed out, it's probably a poor substitute for an ax if
one can safely carry one (arguably, mainly because it doesn't afford as
secure self-belay positions).

-Andrew