[pct-l] Self-Arrest

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 08:38:49 CDT 2007

f_ootslogger03 at yahoo.com_ (mailto:footslogger03 at yahoo.com)   writes: One
thing I will say for the Whippet     ...at least  it's in your hand as your feet
go out from underneath you and you begin to  slide.  The vast majority of
photos I've seen show the high performance ice  axes proudly displayed on the back
of hikers backpacks.
That is a good point.  It reminds me of the stories of people who  die out in
Mother Nature and when they are found, they have all the stuff with  them to
survive.  They just did not use it.  As for me, I never have  to worry about
self-arrest because I do not hike in snow.  As soon as I see  snow on the trail
I head back to the motel and the hot tub.  Hike  over.  It is a great system.
 And very safe too.   :-)

Switchback the Snowshoeless