[pct-l] backpack max weight limit

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 17:49:02 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Lewis"

> I'm hoping to thru-hike next ('08) year, but want to figure out my
> equipment
> well in advance.   It's occuring to me that the max weight capacity of my
> backpack is a challenge for the desert and the Sierras.  [snip]

Overloading your pack causes the suspension to be pushed past it's design
criteria.  The result is that the weight is hanging off of your shoulders,
instead of being evenly distributed between your hips, back, and shoulders.

While it might not seem that big of a deal, when it occurs over several
days, discomfort, severe discomfort, and even soft tissue injury can occur.
This does depend on the individual backpack, of course, as well as loading
technique and your own body.

My advice is to keep under the recommended weight limit for your backpack.
The extra pound or two you saved by going to a lightweight backpack pales in
comparison to a failed suspension system.

It makes even more sense to use your equipment before you embark on a big
trip like the PCT, so that you can work out bugs like this *before* you
engage in a journey of several thousand miles.

Jon