[pct-l] backpack max weight limit

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Mon Apr 16 15:12:38 CDT 2007

Brian Lewis wrote:

> Question: do folks regularly exceed the listed max weight limits for
> backpacks, and for those that have, what kind of issues do you have?
> Discomfort?  Material failures?

i think the key here is the difference between an ultralight pack like
your mariposa, and a more substantial pack like your p2. in my
experience, there's a steep dropoff in comfort level when you start to
exceed the weight limits of an ultralight pack. i used a gossamer g4 and
had this problem as soon as i started putting a pound or two more in it
than it was spec'd for. i switched to a ula catalyst and, while i didn't
often exceed the weight limits, it was far more forgiving in terms of
comfort when i did. last year i used my catalyst for my entire pct
thru-hike and loved it.

hope this helps

girlscout