[pct-l] Letter to BLM re Golden Oak Springs

Judith G twolegs at roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 12 23:16:48 CDT 2007

For the information of anyone also thinking of writing, on April 9, I
sent this letter to the two BLM field offices that share
responsibility for Golden Oaks Spring.  I think it would be helpful
to write, because I believe they will respond if they know how many
people are concerned about the issue.  However, I recommend that your
letters are not nasty, that does seem to bring out the passive
aggression in government employees.  And my idea of a possible
government passive aggressive response is that they would close off
the trail to prevent hikers from dying.  So it might be best not to
emphasize concerns about gazillion hikers dying.

Bureau of Land Management
Ridgecrest Field Office
300 S. Richmond Road
Ridgecrest, CA 93555

Bureau of Land Management
Bakersfield Field Office
3801 Pegasus Drive

Bakersfield, CA 93308

I am a member of the Pacific Crest Trail hiking community, and I will
be hiking this spring in the Cache Peak Segment, which I believe the
Ridgecrest Field Office oversees.  I subscribe to the PCT-l, an
online discussion list for the PCT hiking community, and I was
concerned to learn from various hikers who hiked this segment in
March 2007 that the piped water at Golden Oaks Spring either trickles
faintly, or has stopped completely.  They advise that when this
year’s hikers reach the spring, it could be completely dry, creating
a 37 mile waterless stretch of the trail.

In researching this issue online, I encountered a page on the BLM
website for the Bakersfield Field Office, which contained the
following statement:

“The MOU with the Ridgecrest Resource Area for shared maintenance
responsibilities will be continued. Water sources along the trail
(Fox Mill Spring, Chimney Creek Campground, Joshua Tree Spring,
Walker Pass Campground, Golden Oaks Spring, and Willow Spring) will
be maintained and additional water sources will be developed as
possible.”

In the belief that the Bakersfield and Ridgecrest Field Offices would
already be aware of this problem, I am writing to learn if you have
plans to restore the water supply at this spring in the very near
future.  The main body of this year’s PCT hikers will be coming
through in May and June, and a failure of the water supply here could
have a significant adverse effect on their experience.  It would be
my hope that restoration of a useful flow might be achieved by simple
maintenance procedures on your part.

I would be grateful to hear from you, by telephone or email, at your
very earliest convenience respecting this issue, so that I may make a
report to the PCT hiking community at large, via the discussion list,
in order that hikers may make suitable plans to deal with this
potential adversity.

Thank you for your consideration.

Very truly yours,

Judith A. Gustafson