[pct-l] Using your address for New Zealand hikers opening US bank accounts

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 9 20:22:03 CDT 2007

Not a good idea.  I worked for a bank before I retired 18 mos ago and
can tell you that new regulations applying to all US banks require banks
to "know their customer".   Nothing new about this, banks have been
doing it for at least 100 years to avoid fraud, but now the govt and
regulators are in the act with anti-terrorism fears, and now all banks
have policies and procedures in place that would prevent this.  Probably
best is the idea of using HSBC---a bank with branches in US and
Australia and New Zealand.

Handlebar
GA-ME 06
PCT 08 hopeful