[pct-l] Golden Oaks

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Sun Apr 8 22:24:17 CDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 10:14 PM, Mike Hergert wrote:
>   If you arrive at Golden Oaks without water, it is possible to
> extract it from the ground.  There are wet spots and seeps around
> the pipe and with patience you can get water.  There is a camping
> spot directly above the spring and you could place a dish or water
> bottle in the drippy areas to collect water while you are in camp.
> A small piece of tubing would be helpful. It will be muddy and
> slow, but if you are desperate enough it is possible.  All things
> considered, I would recommend leaving Highway 58 with enough water
> to get to Robin Bird Spring (about 34 miles).

Hmm. Seems like it might make sense to resupply on Onyx this year
instead of going all the way to Kennedy Meadows from Mojave.

Hiking out of Mojave with 7 days (140 miles) of food *and* water
for 34 miles would not be fun.

Does anyone have any suggestions for water sources that are off
trail?  Even a mile or two would be reasonable vs. carrying water
for 34 miles.

Gary Wright (Radar)