[pct-l] Golden Oaks

Mike Hergert mikehergert at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 21:14:14 CDT 2007

Dear PCTers,

  I'm the person who posted the water report for Golden Oaks.  Unfortunately, it is not running the way it usually does and it creates a long dry stretch.  It would be great if BLM or the Forest Service would improve the spring in time for this year's hiking season, but that is quite unlikely in the short time frame left.  I suggest you carry enough water to get you through to Robin Bird Spring--- after that the water situation improves quite a bit. I would keep an eye on the water reports for the first Barcik cache.  It doesn't have a lot of water and it may go empty quickly.

  If you arrive at Golden Oaks without water, it is possible to extract it from the ground.  There are wet spots and seeps around the pipe and with patience you can get water.  There is a camping spot directly above the spring and you could place a dish or water bottle in the drippy areas to collect water while you are in camp. A small piece of tubing would be helpful. It will be muddy and slow, but if you are desperate enough it is possible.  All things considered, I would recommend leaving Highway 58 with enough water to get to Robin Bird Spring (about 34 miles).