[pct-l] Responsible Hiker or Knucklehead

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 11:11:45 CDT 2007

It is that time of year for this  post.

One of the reasons we hike is to  kick back and enjoy the world without a lot
of constraints.  We get out of  the ordinary and into the extraordinary.  We
like a little extra freedom  out there to do what we want to do and when we
want to do it.

There are so many rules and welfare  in our civilized lives that we like to
be on adventure with Mother Nature.   The sooner we can get into this rhythm,
the better we like it.

Each hiker has their way to be on  adventure.  Some do it with others and
some do it alone.  Some like  big mileage days and others like a more causal
pace.  There is room for  everyone on the trail.

But this brings us to an  unfortunate human phenomenon.  Some hikers think
that their hiking freedom  supersedes the rights of others.  They think that
disrespecting others or  their property is okay.  After all they are on a hike
and do not have to  adhere to the normal rules of conduct.  These are the
Knuckleheads.

Fortunately, these hikers are a  real minority.  The vast majority of hikers
are a credit to the hiking  community.  They respect themselves and their
abilities, the rights of  others, and Mother Nature.

The trouble is that it only takes a  few bad apples to spoil the barrel.  It
only takes a few Knuckleheads to  give the whole trail community a bad name.
Here are some bad conduct  things they do:

---- Trashing motel rooms
----  Not paying or offering to pay for services
---- Not saying thank you
----  Not offering to pay for gas
---- Not being helpful
---- Expecting support,  instead of being appreciative if it happens
---- Always taking and not giving  – selfish
---- Not supportive of other hikers
---- An air of superiority  and condescending
---- Not leaving things better than they found them - for  example, they
don't pick up trash on the trail
---- Not being an example  of right conduct or a positive role model

What is so frustrating is that  doing the right thing on the trail is so
easy.  It takes a real conscience  effort to screw up out there.  You almost have
to will yourself to be a  Knucklehead.  It is a premeditated act to be one.
It is not an  accident.

Just because someone is on a hike  does not mean they cannot act like ladies
and gentlemen.  Like they have  some class about them.

It is the responsibility of every  hiker to immediately let those very few
hikers know that their conduct is not  appreciated.  That the sooner they wise
up, the better for everyone.   Do your part and help us keep the trail
community healthy and  positive.

I thank you.  Switchback the  Trail Pirate