[pct-l] SOBO 2007

Tom Griffin griffin at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 4 11:42:34 CDT 2007

Just wanted to add what Reinhold said about Scott Williamson and his
wife-to-be, Michelle. They will be starting after their wedding in
early June on a southbound PCT hike and Scott promises to slow down from
his yo-yo pace so that Michelle can keep up. You should contact them
about their starting date. Maybe you can follow their footsteps in the
Washington snow?

You won't be alone on the trail as you get closer to highway crossings,
because day hikers in Washington (like me) will be out in force as soon
as the snow melts.

However, I would start as late in June as possible. Not only will
traveling in the snow slow you down, but fording rivers can be tough.
When I talked to Scott about his plans for the southbound trip, he said
he was going to take the original PCT rather than the detour around
Glacier Peak. The Suiattle River crossing is only four miles from the
detour junction if you are heading southbound. So if you find that you
can't cross that river, it is only four miles back to the junction and
the alternate route. Last year there was a log that most people used to
cross the Suiattle, but chances are it was washed away in our December
floods.

The detour won't let you off the hook, since you have to ford the
Napeequa River, and that can be a real challenge early in the season. If
the conditions are extreme, there is always the road walk to Steven Pass
that avoids any fords (but is boring). Here is a link to the Forest
Service pages on the detour
<http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/conditions/pct/>.

Tom Griffin
Seattle