[pct-l] Which hitch to Mojave?

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Tue Apr 3 19:20:17 CDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Judith G wrote:

> Those of you who've been there, done that - what's your recommendation
> for hitching to Mojave - is it easier or faster from Hwy 58, or from
> Oak Creek Road?

Hwy 58 is a difficult hitch.  It is basically an exit ramp with
nothing else around.  I ended up asking a trucker who had pulled
over on the ramp for a ride.  About five of us piled in to the cab.

The highway used to go through Mojave but doesn't now so you have
to be let off at another exit and then hitch into town or convince
your ride to go into town. I'd use Oak Creek Rd. next time.

If you are taking a day off you might consider hitching out to
the 58 trail crossing on your day off, hiking the 8 miles *south*
to Oak Creek Road and then hitch back into town.  The next day,
hitch back out to 58 again. This will cut 8 miles off your hike to the
next water source.  Working from memory, I think it is 20+ miles
from highway 58 to the next water source  (Golden Oak Spring?).