[pct-l] prep for JMT--advice?

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue Oct 24 16:54:14 CDT 2006

Lauren!

Whether or not crampons and ice axe are needed for safe passage on a JMT
hike in late June into early July will depend on you and expected snow
conditions.  Now, this is what I mean:

You  -  how much snow (and all that comes with it) can you tolerate?
                -  High creek crossings, wet feet, camping on snow, trail
finding, etc..
        -  do you know how to deal with extended stretches of snow, methods
of
                walking on the surface (as opposed to risking falling
through), sub-
                surface hazards (rocks, trees, depth hoar, creeks, etc.),
surface
                difficulties (suncups, ice, postholing, slip-and-falls,
self-arrest, ascent
                and descent techniques, etc.)?
        -  can you carry the extra food and gear to deal with your expected
needs
                out there?

Expected Snow Conditions  -  On any given date, each year will have a
    different amount of snow.  In late June of a drought year hikers may
    experience summer-type trail conditions. This last year, a heavy snow
    season, June hikers found up to miles of snow on either sides of most of
the
    High Sierra Passes.  Monitor snow survey data to be able to compare how
    this winter compares to those of the past, informing you of how to
prepare
    for it.  The melt-off rate is another variable that affects how much
snow you
    may have to walk on and you won't know that until you get there!

        So, be prepared for whatever amount!  It is highly likely you will
have
    snow in June and early July of even drought years, so learn the skills
needed
    to be safe and have fun in it, whether you find it in inches or feet.
        Remember, we're all different.  What one person can tolerate (wet
feet,
    frequent falls, cold, hunger, lack of adequate gear to save weight,
etc.), you
    may not!  Know yourself before you go:  how to respond to changing snow
    and weather conditions, what you need for safe creek crossings, climbs,
and
    descents, how much you'll need to eat per mile of snow-slogging, etc..
Test
    yourself and your gear under expected conditions beforehand! Take a
course
    on possibly needed skills so you'll know what to do when suddenly
    confronted with the huge creek crossing, icy climb or descent, lost
trail, or
    miles of postholing.  Can't hurt. You can't expect your experience to be
like
    another's unless you deal with things the same way and have the same
    conditions.

Skill learning?  Look for outdoor schools, mountaineering clubs, retail
seminars in your area, for a start.  Conditions in Georgia are not like
Colorado or California, but at least it's a start.  Mountain Education does
offer on-trail skill training courses specifically designed for the thru
hiker, but we are far away from you.  The dates of our courses for this
coming season will be posted soon, however for those who come a long way to
enjoy our beloved Pacific Crest Trail, we will be offering a last-minute,
4-day Prep Clinic the weekend before the Kickoff (transportation to the
Kickoff included).

Enough info?

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com