[pct-l] Skill Sets - Practice them

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Thu Oct 19 15:14:09 CDT 2006

In a message dated 10/19/2006 3:32:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, park at vt.edu
writes:

Sly,  what is plunge stepping?  Is that like postholing  downhill?

Yeah kind of.  When the top surface of snow is soft enough your feet  only
sink so much and you can almost jog down safely.  You can also do it  on scree,
which I did coming down Mt Shasta

I tried to time most of the passes and snow sections for mid day  when the
snow was soft.  Sometimes it was easier to plunge step and others  glissade,
either sitting or standing.  Prior to the PCT I had no  experience.

As far as using an ice ax or poles for better balance, I prefer the  latter.
However there may be some steeper sections of side hill traverse  where it
would be best to stow the poles and carry your ax.  I definitely  could have
used some more practice self arresting.  One time practicing I  almost took off
my shoulder.

Having survived with little experience, I'd really like to take one of  Ned's
courses or something similar, as to not tempt fate.

Sly