[pct-l] 1978 bear avoidance

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Oct 17 21:04:33 CDT 2006

I use to use mothballs in the sierras before bear cannisters were required.  Picked up the idea in the early 90's on a compuserve forum for backpacking.  I used the ziplock to carry them and then placed them in a mesh ditty bag attached to my food bag when I hung it.  I've never lost food to a bear, including the smarter then average Yosemite ones.  Don't know if the mothballs were the reason.  Now since cannisters are required, I haven't used that method in a decade.

-Sean Nordeen