[pct-l] RE Bear Avoidance

bluebrain at bluebrain.ca bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Oct 17 16:41:37 CDT 2006

> Now here is a funny one,
>
> G) He's woken up when his head hit the ground after a
> bear swiped the food-bag “pillow” from under his head

In the case of the guy getting dragged out of his tent in his sleeping
bag, his food was in the bottom of his bag.  In this case, yeah, it was
under his head. (not the same guy)  THAT would be an unsettling
experience!

> Yet in the current guidebook the author
> caved in to peer pressure and suggested everyone carry
> a bear barrel.

Officially, hiking with a bear canister is the only acceptable suggestion
that can be made, like filtering/treating water.  It MUST be recommended,
whether it's really necessary or not.  Like an ice-axe, they're safety
precautions that must be made in any official guide, regardless of the
author's personal opinions.  I don't think peer pressure is a factor.

- Paul