[pct-l] Simplifying Meal Preparation

Gustafson montana467 at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 5 19:37:55 CDT 2006

JJ, you young pup, I know exactly what  you mean  (I'm 63).  When I
hike with others, cooking etc., can be shared, but alone?  Uh uh.  When
I hike solo, I don't cook. Carrying less stuff (no pot, stove, fuel,
etc.) is extremely important to me now.

I rely heavily on Bear Valley meal bars.  Check them out at
http://www.mealpack.com/.  One of those a day.  I like cheese and
bagels, crackers and peanut butter or tuna foil packs, and dehydrated
hummus (rehydrated, of course) or tabouli with pita bread.  Rehydrated
pinto beans with tortillas.  LOTS of jerky, either beef, turkey or
salmon. Granola with Milkman powdered lowfat milk.  Nuts, some dried
fruit, Halvah, payday bars.  Of course this works best if I can reward
my asceticism at frequent intervals in trail towns or resorts.  The ice
cream at Elk Lake Lodge was one such reward.  I also recommend
supplements:  EmergenC as a breakfast drink, Hammer Nutrition's
Phytomax (see http://www.e-caps.com/za/HNT?) for condensed vegetable
nutrition.  I need to point out that I'm a section hiker, and have only
put up with this kind of diet for a max of four week.  I'm only chiming
in because I think it's very doable, when traveling light and
simplifying the evening ritual is a priority.  I look forward to what
other hikers suggest.

Two Legs

PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4046