[pct-l] CD-ROMs yea or ney

Kenneth Schwarz ksksksks at cox.net
Tue Oct 10 00:36:47 CDT 2006

I probably hike with more maps than anyone.
I like the CD-ROM printouts for the elevation graphs in planning for my camping stops. I also carry a USFS map, or
portions thereof for escape routes or alternate routes when fire, snow, or injury dictate. They also have phone numbers of local ranger districts.
The day hiking book also has good info for section hikers.
I too cut out the pertinent sections of Schaffer's books for the topos and descriptions, and photocopy the Data Book, which I carry in my pocket and check at each crossing. I also have a set of USFS PCT maps that have some topo quality. I use higher resolution topos for detail when snow will be covering the trail in early season.