[pct-l] Reasons for quitting

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Sun Nov 26 12:56:40 CST 2006

Good morning Jeff,

I usually skip over some of the more lengthy posts (I have minimal patience some days) but your's I read with keen interest and an ability to relate.  I deal with depression and also have a difficulty being "alone" on the trail. Though I am intellectually aware that my level of fear while alone is both, in most cases, unnecessary, and certainly the feeling of "security" while with another is for the most part, false.

For me, so much of my world comes down to fear...why and how, is my own story; shared in more private moments. But, it does leave me with an-usual amount of apprehension, uneasiness, heightened sense of awareness to EVERYTHING; far past the point of awe and inspiration straight into something extremely close to panic. It is how and why I got myself into extreme danger back in 1997 and came very close to dying.

Getting back to your post, I respect you for such and emotionally "open" letter to this list and only wanted to share that I might have a better handle on your post than some. Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, for me, taking my dog Lacey with me (I am not a thru hiker) has allowed me a greater feeling of comfort and companionship than I'd ever expected or thought possible. Lacey and I make a great team and not only is my level of peace on the trail risen 100% but the pure joy I feel while on the trail is like nothing else in my world.

JoAnn
are we there yet