[pct-l] Ground cloth - myth or requirement

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Thu Nov 23 11:23:51 CST 2006

Hey Tumbleweed,

Many folks will give you valid reasons for having one due to moisture and
I'm certainly in that camp.

A big reason, for me, it's also a way to keep your gear clean. When I stop
and cook my one cooked meal of the day, I like to 'sprawl'. My gear is
spread out all around me. So putting down my 1.1 silnylon ground sheet goes
a a long way in keeping your stuff clean. When you're in areas such as the
desert, throwing down in the dirt may be your only option. Quite frankly,
dropping a $300 sleeping bag in the dirt does not sit well with me! :)

Hope that helps,
Scott

I did not use a ground cloth during my last long distance hike.
Does anyone have opinions on the use with a tarptent?

tumbleweed
<<<<