[pct-l] 2006 CDT documentary "The Hike"

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Nov 23 01:35:17 CST 2006

Paul Mitchell wrote:

> Anyway, I guess what I'm asking is am I the only one who feels like seeing a
> vid of a place you haven't been yet is like a spoiler?

i personally don't feel that way. i'd seen all the pct documentaries i
could find prior to my thru-hike, and all those places *still* looked
and felt alot different than what i expected, having only seen them on
the tv screen. very often i found myself pleasantly surprised by
sections that didn't look all that interesting on tv... in real life
things were SO much better! (surprise surprise!)

plus there's just something oddly haunting about having a "sort of" idea
of different places, that you feel like you're familiar with... and then
you arrive there, and there's this odd feeling like you're "coming home"
for the first time... and suddenly you "get it," and there's this
satisfaction of finally seeing what those places really look and feel
like... sort of like putting together a puzzle... i felt that sensation
all along the trail, it gave me shivers some times... the obvious spot
would be the canadian border, but many other places come to mind.

girlscout