[pct-l] Reasons for Quiting

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Tue Nov 14 09:16:02 CST 2006

In an effort to help future thru hikers complete their trips safely while absorbing all the trail has to teach, Mountain Education would like to compile the reasons why nearly 75% of all eager starters decide to abandon their dream.

The call goes out to all, no matter the year attempted.  A lengthy description of the events, thoughts, and emotions that lead you to it would be appreciated.

This information would remain name-free, unless you would like others to know what happened to you, what you went through, what made it difficult for you.

We celebrate and congratulate the completers and love to hear their tales of how it went, what physical, spiritual, and emotional battles they faced and how they overcame them.  Great stuff!  But what of the others?  A journey like this is as much internal as it is external and it can change lives in the doing.  Of the 300 who started this year, it is assumed nearly 225 had to quit.  If we knew why, maybe next year's class would be better prepared, have more realistic expectations, have more fun, and be able to go all the way, successfully completing their dream, and able to absorb all the trail has to offer!

We will post the compiled info on Mountain Education's website along with our on-going Snow-Travel Questionnaire data.

For all of those who didn't make it, maybe they'll be able to yet!

Mtnned