[pct-l] EveryTrail: View your hike from above

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 16:15:32 CST 2006

Here's an interesting new website to check out: EveryTrail.com.
<http://www.everytrail.com>

Here's how it works. You go on a hike, GPS receiver in hand, and use
the GPS receiver to track your entire trip (not just the waypoints).
Then you upload your GPS trace data to everytrail.com, which overlays
it on satellite images from Google Maps. You can also upload photos
from your hike, and it places them on the map by correlating the time
they were taken with the GPS data. Slick! (And if your camera clock
isn't set precisely, that's okay. Link one picture to the actual
location where it was taken, and EveryTrail corrects the location of
all other photos.) You can view several Sierra hikes on the site now,
such as this Mt. Whitney climb:
<http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=47>

I haven't tried to use EveryTrail, except as an armchair viewer. (In
fact, this Luddite -- er, real mountain man -- doesn't own a GPS
receiver.) But it looks pretty cool. I look forward to seeing *your*
trip posted soon.

Cheers,
Carl
1977 PCT Kelty Kid