[pct-l] Section N report

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:30:09 CDT 2006

Just back. Hat Creek Rim terrific views - IMHO the best views since
the high sierras. Picked up about 20 liters of water at Subway caves,
which was sufficient, though supplemented some at the highway 44 cache
and road 22 cache. Temp about 95 but windy. Windchill is good at that
temperature. Camped about 2 miles before fire lookout remains. First
few hours of walking was absolutely wonderful. Got a little hot later
on.

When you come off the rim onto the lava flow you have to walk thru a
lot of stuff that looks suspiciously like poison oak. It's not - it's
squaw bush. There is poison oak out there though, as my legs testify.

Burney Falls - in register there is a lodge that says shuttle can be
arranged. Current managers know nothing about it and know no way to
get people into Burney. Called the Pack and ship outfit that is on
this forum, but apparently a business number, as this was Saturday, so
no answer. No trail angel numbers in register. The backpacker campsite
had a huge church group, so noise pollution. We walked to store. Main
campground is by store, and was full, but they have a hike/bike site
just past camp site 75 that is very nice. $1 per person (we camped
there with Tracker (Stuart)). It has a couple of tables and firepit,
about 50 yds away from main campground and would easily hold 10+
backpackers.

--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html