[pct-l] Inflated home appraisals

Richard Woods wpsnotebook at charter.net
Sun Jul 23 14:45:45 CDT 2006

In the Wall Street Journal Friday edition, there was an article about
homeowners paying the piper for the recent trend for home appraisers
to inflate the value of a home, on the average by as much as 10% too
high. Real estate brokers and mortgage lenders will make more money
if home values are higher, and tend to hire appraisers who are
willing to skew the value up. So I'm skeptical about the factors you
used the describe the PCT. The sections of the trail I've seen
couldn't be much more than two feet average or maybe 2.5 feet at
most! So there you go, overstating the size by more than 10%! (very
large grin).
It's hell bein' Trail Trash, ain't it!
Rick