[pct-l] Tahoe access

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Mon Jul 17 11:27:00 CDT 2006

Just back in from Tahoe. Had a great vacation. Weather was PERFECT the
entire week!

Unfortunately, I didn't get much hiking in. Spent all my time with
family and friends (exactly what vacations are for!) who are not hikers.
The few short hikes I did take didn't even get me onto the PCT/TRT. I
did get out to Red Lake off the 89 just below Kit Carson Pass for some
fishing (my boy and I each caught our limit!), but I only saw one
backpacker on the way that, from the UL look of his gear, made me
believe he was a Thru. But he was already at SLT, about 2 miles from the
88/50 "Y", so I honked/waved and kept driving to the lake. I crossed the
PCT/TRT on the highway up (88?) but saw no other hikers.

When I first got into town (7/8), the slopes around The Rim were about
20% covered with snow. By the time we left (7/15) the snow had melted
off to about 5% on the slopes that still had snow. I swear I could
actually see the snow diminish as I looked at it!

Along the 395, the snow on the east slopes of The Sierra was at about
20% coverage in the higher elevations. The contrast between the
blue-grey granite and the brilliant white snow fields made for stunning
views between Olancha and Tahoe!

Jeff- I'm sorry I didn't get your message until I got back. Had I known
a ride was needed, I would have been there for ya!

Steve- Skeeters weren't bad at all in town and non-existent in Red Lake.
We didn't camp (my wife's idea of "roughing-it" is arriving at a hotel
without reservations...). Stayed in a townhouse in The Keys.

Richard- Thanks for the info. I wish I had it before I left.

-Oilcan

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m