[pct-l] mail at Burney Falls

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 14:07:47 CDT 2006

Keep your cool. We need them a lot more than they need us. They've already got all those crabby weekenders to deal with. Let's not give them an excuse to drop the service altogether.

We need to recognize that they are doing us a HUGE service by handling hikers' supply packages at all. The aternative is a 14 mile roundtrip roadwalk on hot, exposed blacktop with lots of high speed traffic into Burney itself.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they only charge $5 per package. By comparison, Red's Meadow charges $20 + $1 per day over 5 days, VVR charges $15, and Muir Trail Ranch $45.

It sounds like they really don't want to be a mail drop, and I can't blame them for that. That store and its adjoining snack bar are small, cramped, and get very hectic with just the folks car camping there.

I agree that $2.50 per letter is rediculous and taking advantage of the situation, but even still.............we need them a lot more than they need us.

Wandering Bob