[pct-l] Inexpensive Altimeter Watch

Corky Corcoran corcoran at corky.cc
Sat Jul 8 12:29:43 CDT 2006

I owned a Suunto, and thought it was very good.  And
expensive.   Gets a B, or B+.  Probably a B considering cost.  It
died, eventually.

I have one now, model "Highgear" from "Smart Outdoor Products" which
has an awesome altimeter function.  Very sensitive, and when checked
on maps and with the GPS sensor and GPS direct altimeter readings is
unbelievably accurate.  Much faster response than the Suunto, frankly
more accurate, and easier on batteries.  Understand, the Suunto I'm
comparing it with was probably purchased in '98.

The "Highgear" cost ~$75 on sale at a Norm Thompson outlet store near
me.  Gets an A.

One I'd avoid is the Nike Lance Armstrong.  I was given one a few
years ago.  It gets a B+ for features and accuracy, moving that up to
A- factoring in my cost.  AND, it has an integrated back and strap,
which wore out rapidly, came loose, and effectively ruined it for any
use except as a pocket watch.  Which takes it out of the running
completely, as far as I'm concerned.

I've had a lot of 'em, starting with a Casio Triple Sensor whose
altitude function went to 13,000 ft. tops.  I've used the dickens out
of the things, altitude being one of my fetishes.  With altitude and
a topo (and some basic knowledge as to where one is) I've found it
easy to locate myself much more accurately most of the time than with
a topo and compass.

Corky
Poco Loco Solo Sobo Hobo