[pct-l] Good Altimeter Watch

eric lee thebeave7 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:26:15 CDT 2006

I agree with Lonetrail, Suunto is the way to go. I've been working in
outdoor retail for the past 3.5 years and the Suunto altimeter watches have
the fewest problems and returns. Also their customer service is wonderful,
they can replace basically every part of the watch if needed. I own an
X6(expensive but lower profile and pretty accurate).

That being said, all altimeter watches will fluctuate even while you are
stationary, just because of weather patterns. No watch(in any sort of range
you'll want to spend) is going to be consistently accurate within 10ft. I
use my Suunto in the Sierras all the time, and usually I calibrate it
two-three times a day, it can be off by a couple hundred feet after 4000ft+
elev change if I don't. A GPS unit with a barometric altimeter is probably
the most accurate general consumer product, though this will cost around
$200 and isn't always on. The Suunto Vector is my recommendation for an
afordable reliable altimeter watch.

Eric