[pct-l] Mt Hood to Eagle Creek Hike (with pics)

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Jul 7 05:40:36 CDT 2006

Good morning, all,

Once again Deems' images have well capture this wonderful scenery.  I hike
somewhere in that area almost every weekend and his photos satisfy me until
I can return.

On the 4th I did a training hike on the PCT totaling something over 22 miles
out-and-back, and mid-PM I was returning east toward Timberline crossing
snowpack very similar to Deems' photo.  The PCT was easy enough to piece
together, but many of the local trails around the lodge, and their signs,
were buried.  Almost within sight of the ski lifts I met a couple of tourist
hikers, and greeted them.

Me:  "So, you're off on a big hike today?"

He:  "We sure are.  Say, can you tell me where this trail goes?"

Me:  "If you keep going this direction you'll get to Canada, and if you turn
around and go the other way you will get to Mexico."

Evidently that picture was too big because he said. "Well .... we were just
trying to find the One-Mile Loop Trail."

I told them it was buried, so they should stay on the footprints back to the
lodge.

In that exact same area last fall I saw something almost as astounding as
Deems' photos. A classy, well dressed hiker-lady had a bear-bell attached to
her brand new day pack.  That's the first time in over 40 years that I've
seen a bear-bell, on the hoof, in the Pacific Northwest.  It was either, 1)
a fashion statement that totally misses the mark with me, 2) an comment
about the human race's innate fear of large, carnivorous  predators, 3) a
significant complement to REI on their sales and marketing acumen, 4)
something else that I will never understand, or 5) some combination of 1-4.

Steel-Eye