[pct-l] Mt Hood to Eagle Creek Hike (with pics)

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Thu Jul 6 20:21:46 CDT 2006

Over the July 4th holiday I hiked with two old hometown brothers the PCT
from Timberline lodge on Mt Hood to the Columbia River via Eagle Creek. I
hiked Eagle creek in early June with Monte Dodge, and the waterfalls had
definitely decreased in volume. We started out on Mt Hood on snow, with the
PCT trail melted out enough to be able to follow the route easily. We camped
our first night at Ramona falls, and were treated to perfect waterfall
lighting with the setting sun. The next day we took the 600 trail/Timberline
trail through the Muddy Creek drainage which added some extra distance, but
the scenery and seeing the incredible devastation in the Muddy Creek
drainage from a recent huge flood event was worth it. On the trail after
Lolo Pass, we met David Hough (PCT2001 in Pieces) who was hiking from Ramona
to Mt Adams this time. We camped that night at Salvation springs, which I
have renamed Bug Camp. The amount of flies and skeeters was incredible, and
our headnets and shelters saved our sanity. There was very little water
there, but enuf to get by. Discover springs was flowing nicely 3.5miles
later on near Buck Peak.  The next day we hiked along the ridges and crest
for miles through endless forests to Indian Peak where we were treated to
endless vistas into Washington of Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier and Mt Adams. We
spent our last nite on the trail at Wahtum lake, where I had done my first
hike in Oregon in 1977 via Eagle Creek, 29 years to the day. Camping at
Wahtum Lake awakened a few moldy brain cells, and hiking down the trail from
there into Eagle Creek seemed like walking back in time for me. Eagle creek
this time was full of the 21st century cybercrowds that have found it fun
for a day, but for me it will last a lifetime. I've loaded up a few pics
from the Mt Hood to the River hike on my pbase site if you'd like to see our
hike, enjoy!
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/mount_hood