[pct-l] Seasoned Hiker & Transportation

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 09:29:36 CDT 2006

OK, Switchback, this is a new high in low.  The second joke in this
message is a thinly veiled version of a well-known "deaf guy" joke.
Rather than get all ticked off at your obvious insensitivity to the
hearing impaired, I will simply responds as follows:

"Huh?  Whadyasay?"

No, but seriously.  Edith and Elmer were an aging hiking couple.
Elmer was becoming concerned, however, that Edith might be losing her
hearing, so he arranged to take Edith on a hike.  As they hiked
along, Elmer intentionally fell behind about 50 feet and said Edith's
name aloud.  Edith did not respond.  Concerned, Elmer moved to within
40 feet of Edith and again, a little louder, he said "Edith!"  No
response.  Quite concerned now, Elmer closed to within 20 feet and
said, quite loudly now "Edith!!"  Still no response.  Really
concerned now, Elmer moved within 10 feet of Edith and shouted
"EDITH!"  Edith stopped and turned in the trail with an annoyed
expression and said, "Elmer!  For the fourth time now, WHAT IS IT?"

Cleverly leading this post way off topic, I now present my all time
favorite deaf guy joke.

Mafia mob boss Guido "Gambo" Gambini needed a mule to pick up
payments from legitimate businesses as part of his protection
racket.  Gambo was not too bright, having risen to the top through
shear brutality, but he gathered about him some "smart guys" to
advise him.  One smart guy suggested he hire a deaf-mute, Jimmy "The
Mute" Brandino, to do the job.  The idea was that no one would
suspect a lowly deaf-mute and standard police interrogation tactics
wouldn't work with Jimmy because he communicated only in sign
language.  Gambo hired Jimmy and everything went fine for a few
months until Gambo's bookkeeper came in and informed him that the
protection payments were coming up short and there was about $50,000
missing from the deposits Jimmy was supposed to be making.  After
murdering the bookkeeper (just to be on the safe side) Gambo had his
henchmen bring Jimmy in for questioning and hired a sign language
interpreter so he could communicate with Jimmy.

"Jimmy," Gambo said, "Dose protection payments youse supposed ta be
collectin' for me are comin' up short.  I already know you skimmed
off 50 grand. Now whaddya do wid it?"  The interpreter duly signed
the question and then translated Jimmy's reply:
" i don't know what yer talkin' about, boss.  I dint skim no money
off does payments."
At this point Gambo removed a 44 from a pocket inside his jacket and
screwed the barrel tight into Jimmy's ear.  "Jimmy," Gambo said, "You
unnerstan dis sign language?  Now, cough up da money or I'm gonna
smear yer brains all over dat wall dere."  The interpreter signed
this message to Jimmy.  Jimmy signed back to the interpreter, " OK,
OK.  I give up.  The money's in a plastic bag in a hollowed out tree
in Central Park just off Central Park West halfway between The Pool
and The Great HIll.  The tree has a small piece of yellow tape
fastened to a branch about six feet off the ground."
After a brief pause,  the interpreter turned to Gambo and said,
"Jimmy says he doesn't know what you're talking about.  Further, he
says you're a pitiful old lady and you aren't man enough to pull the
trigger on that gun."

Finally, then there's the one about the man who read a new
sociological study in the newspaper that proved that women speak
twice as many words, on the average given day, as men do.  He told
his wife about the study and asked her why she thought that was the
case.  She thought about it for a few moments and then responded,
"That's probably because women have to repeat everything they say."
"What?"  her husband responded.

Say goodnight, Switchback.

Wayne