[pct-l] RMRU - John Donovan Recovery

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Wed Jul 5 07:24:06 CDT 2006

Tom
I have no connection whatsoever with the RMRU or first hand knowledge of the
events leading to John's death.

I belive though he was in the canyon and used the same reasoning as the
Texas couple, once in the canyon they felt if they followed it they would be
in civizilation.

While technicaly true it can't be accomplished safely without mountaineering
gear to decend the numerious falls.

The point where the pack and campsite where, was at the top of some falls,
John's remain's where at the base of these falls. He fell to his doom while
decending them.

I have some experince in canyoneering and probing less frequented areas in
the Southern California Mountains, I too have used the same reasoning,
though I self-rescued, I would have been in very serious trouble if I didn't
get out that day.

I learned my lesson and these 2 tales re-enforce it for me

Trail90