[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Zippers

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 01:41:28 CDT 2006

_pbaily at webuniverse.net_ (mailto:pbaily at webuniverse.net)   writes:

One  suggestion: Use a rain cover for your pack. They are lightweight and
they keep  the pack from absorbing water which then leaks into the inside of the
pack as  pointed out below. The elimination of absorbed water keeps the pack
weight  from increasing. Stuff inside my pack has never gotten wet from rain
when I  have used a cover.  Pieces  -----------------------
If you like outside rain bags for your pack, then that is fine.  The  hit on
them has always been they leak and are affected by wind too much.   Of course,
if you have found a pack bag that works for you, then great.

The outside pack bags I have found  the best are the ones with a draw string
at the bottom to make the bag snug  around the pack.  Often when there is
rain, there is wind and having the  outside bag tight around your pack is a plus.

It is kind of nice to bang along  the trail in the rain and know your
contents are dry.  If the wind is not  too high, then the solar umbrella deployed is
very nice.  This adds some  pack protection too along with protection to the
upper portion of your  body.  You still need a rain jacket and leg rain
protection.

For body protection I like the  5-6 ounce GossamereGear.com Driducks
Micropore jacket with  hood and the 1.5 ounce SpinnChaps.  I modified the chaps with a
simple  Velcro belt for my waist.  For my hands I carry some 1 ounce Gortex
mittens.  So, my body rain protection is around half a pound.  Not bad  for
something so important.  I like jackets better than  capes.

Cheers,  Switchback
The Wild Bunch Trail  Bandit