[pct-l] definitive site on bears in the Sierra

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 14:54:15 CST 2006

 I'd carry a copy of the regulation
 Jeff just Jeff

 Hi Jeff

 Definitely! carry a copy of the regulations.  Very few rangers or ranger
 stations seem to know the the whole story.
 One Yosemite ranger last April was telling lots thru hikers that a bear
 cannister was definitely required everywhere on the JMT.
 A ranger in Yosemite in 2004 gave me the 7 mile from the road rule.  A
 ranger stationed just north of Pinchot pass told me as a thru hiker I was
 not required to carry a cannister, but pointed out that the boxes that were
 meant for us.  Some people I hiked with called a few ranger stations and
 could not get any clear answers.  The confusion goes

 I think you already know bear boxes are placed in such a way that they are
 easy to use in the required areas.  The last until VVR is right at the
Woods
 Creek Crossing.  At VVR they're at both ends of the lake. (even though
 they'r not required there it is a problem area).  That's the big stretch I
 was worried about to stay legal.

 Yes.  Carry a copy of the regulations .
 Thanks Jeff

 Warner Springs Monty