[pct-l] Towing

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun Dec 31 14:18:15 CST 2006

>AsABat _ at backcountry.net_ (mailto:t at backcountry.net)   writes:
>
>I have  done my own car shuttles on solo PCT hikes on several occasions such
>as Big  Bear, Mojave, and the Southern Sierra. I tow an old VW bug behind my
>truck. I  did these sections mostly as a series of day  hikes.
>
>______________________
>That is really smart.  I had  never thought of that.  Tow a vehicle to
>position at your ending  point.  Then at the end of your hike just drive back to
>your starting point  and hook it up for the drive home.  I will have to think
>about  that.
>
>Switchback

Switchback,

You don't want to do that (towing)!  Think about it for a moment and envision the possible outcome...

For each section-hike, park your vehicle and walk nobo (or sobo) for half your available time...
Turn around and retrace your PCT steps back to your vehicle...

When you finally reach Canada (or Mexico) - look at what you will have accomplished...
You will have successfully completed the PCT - not just once, but TWICE!
More importantly, YOU will make PCT history - you will be the FIRST successful...  (insert drum roll here)......................................................................................  "Yo-yo section-hiker"!!!
Think of the accolades, the crowd greeting you upon completion, the news stories, all spreading 'the word' of the glorious PCT...

Of course, there will always be the 'nay-sayers' discounting your grand achievement...
Those %&#$ "purist" section-hikers will be looking for any flaw to denigrate your success, but your
careful planning will overcome and quiet their objections...
You will plan to always start each section from your vehicle in the same direction - nobo or sobo...
You will plan to preserve the "continuity" of the journey by maintaining proper geographical sequencing -
you will NOT 'flip-flop' or jump any sections to complete later...
you will hike both the 'official' PCT for said 'purity', plus some of the alternates for their scenic beauty...
and you will not do ANY day-hikes nor will you slack-pack even the shortest sections!

I'm sure the "pink flamingo tent stake" people will want to help sponsor this endeavor...  Maybe even
Wal-Mart (I'm sure they would at least have a 'greeter' at your successful completion party)!

Rethink this towing idea, Switchback...  HYOH, but if you tow - TYOH...  To tow just isn't 'right'...
Besides, wouldn't towing be considered 'anti-social'?    ;-)  Disclaimer: all the above TIC!

IMHO, Happy New Year and...  YMMV, but Happy trails!!!