[pct-l] PCT Questions

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Dec 29 20:08:23 CST 2006

Seems like a bad idea to me.

A) all your food will be sitting in a sun-baked car for weeks/months on end.
Your chocolate bars will melt/solidify/melt/solidify over and over again.
B) parking at some trailheads will require permits and cost money.
C) you're almost certainly going to have problems along the way with
vandalism and/or bears, and possibly theft.

I've never had too much trouble with hitchhiking.  IMHO, the pros of having
access to those vehicles are far outweighed by the cons and the impact they
would have on the experience.  Part of the adventure of the journey (for me
anyway) is the bit of chaos and lack of control / reliance on others.

I'm going to put some choice foods in a single bin/box and mail that around,
take some stuff out of that that I can't get locally (freeze dried fruit,
etc) and mix that with whatever I can find at stores along the way.  If the
next resupply is a post office only and not a store, then add some more food
to the bin from the current location and mail it forward.  Best of both
options from my perspective ... flexibility to change diet along the way,
but access to the stuff I am sure will be good to have but not easily found
in towns.

On the flip side, you'll be extremely popular with other hikers if you're
offering a lot of rides as you go.  There's one pro.

My two bits!
Paul