[pct-l] Nother Question ...

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 29 11:53:35 CST 2006

I think allot depends on how this winter shapes up. This year I took both- but I mailed my ice axe home in Lone Pine. I discovered that I only really needed the crampons during the mornings and in the late afternoons when the temperatures cooled down and the snow became icy. I descended Glen Pass at about 6 in the morning. I sure needed crampons, and should have used an ice axe. I used my trekking poles- which offered allot of stability. However, they would not have stopped a fall-- which is the point of an ice axe. I felt like the steps on passes were deep enough that I was secure with using crampons and my trekking poles. IThe same held true for Mather Pass.

  A big reason I sent my ice axe home is I had heavy ice axe. The newer ones are much lighter. I would that you go ahead and purchase a light ice axe- learn how to self-arrest this winter, and practice with it. In this way you will be prepared for however this winter turns out.

  ProDeal

Mark Jernigan <footslogger03 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Have gotten answers all over the map in terms of REAL need for both an ice axe and crampons.

Now I know that a lot of it depends on the snowpack each year ...but based on everything I've read and my own personal experience (as limited as that might be in PCT terms) I am seriously thinking of going with just crampons.

Am I nuts ? Will the combination of trekking poles and crampons be enough to keep me going ??

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger
AT 2003

unsubscribe or change options: