[pct-l] Trail angel

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Thu Dec 28 15:03:18 CST 2006

I NEVER ask for money and frequently refuse when offered.

At times I do accept for the cost of gas due to the high prices in this area and distances traveled to get hikers from trail-town-stores-our home-stores-trail, can easily be 100 miles plus for just one hiker (we usually host only one, or a couple, at a time). We have hikers in our home w/a private room and bath; we feed them all meals; they have free rein on TV and a computer; use of a cell phone; and I do their laundry, etc.

I love being a trail angel, though "my way" is quite different than most others. Most of the hikers we get our climbing Shasta while in this area and/or are section hikers. I host people I've met on the trail; those who have heard of me on this list; and others who make arrangements a head...even if just from a town a bit south of us.

It brings me great joy being a trail angel and has about "won over" my non-hiking husband (I proceed with or without his involvement). I am on the trail a fair amount myself from spring through fall and we do have a modest income.  I also do occasional work with trail crews here locally and have another position with the PCTA that takes me all over our area from as far south as Lassen NP, to Seiad Valley, Weaverville, etc.

So all-in-all, those of us who are lucky enough to wear any name tag whereby we assist either hikers or the pct itself, have more fun; enjoy meeting more hikers and learning about them and their world; talking with the most interesting people on trail and those off trail who provide for hikers, are the very fortunate indeed. If truly blessed, it brings new friends into our world whereby we "receive" far more than we'll ever "give".

Thanks for listening.

are we there yet