[pct-l] A few quick questions

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Thu Dec 28 10:58:52 CST 2006

On Dec 28, 2006, at 1:59 AM, Brian Miller wrote:

> I am just looking for some opinions. I am down to my last two gear
> purchases I am debating.
>
> Bear canister Do I need one are they mandatory?

By combining hanging, bear boxes, and long days it is possible to
traverse the canister required areas for the most part without
breaking the regulations but I believe there is a section north of
Tuolumene where it isn't really feasible.

Yogi, in her most recent PCT Handbook, has matched up the various
regulations to the realities of PCT hiker pace.  I'd recommend her
handbook anyway, but if you want all the details of the PCT relative
to the various rules in the wilderness areas and national parks for
protecting food, that is the place to go.

In any case, the canisters make a nice stool for sitting and they
help to discourage bad bear behavior, which is a good thing.  I
carried a canister and liked the fact that I didn't really need to
worry about where I was going to camp or what I was going to do with
my food.  I carried from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake Tahoe.

I also believe that bear canister regulations have changed quite a
bit in the last few years (i.e. required in more locations) and so
you need to be aware that the regulations may change again this year.

Gary Wright (Radar)