[pct-l] A few quick questions

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 28 09:48:26 CST 2006

>I am just looking for some opinions. I am down to my last two gear
>purchases I am debating.
>Bear canister Do I need one are they mandatory?
>Ice axe? Need one or personal preference?
>Thanks in advance."
>stick

Almost hate to reply for how the words "bear canister" can usually 'excite' the list at times, but.....

Do you NEED a bear canister? - no...  Are they mandatory? - depends on your interpretation
(or more importantly, the AUTHORITY's interpretation - so it will depend on whom you run into and
what kind of mood they are in!)...

First, check these sites, then decide(?):
<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/index.htm>
<http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm>
<http://www.nps.gov/seki/snrm/wildlife/food_storage.htm>
<http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/bfoodstoragem.htm>
<http://www.climber.org/scripts/BearBoxes.cgi?MAP+1.0>

Will I use one? - yes (I don't want ANY hassle - or $$ fine!)...  I have an Ursack (with liner - 20 oz.) that
is 'conditionally' approved - which means that you CAN use it in 2007...
2nd choice would be Bearvault BV400 (41 oz. - 3 oz. heavier than the older models) - also
'conditionally' approved (even in the Rae Lakes area)...
3rd choice - Bearikade (37 oz.) - very nice, but too many $$$ for me!...
<http://www.ursack.com/home.htm>
<http://www.bearvault.com/>
<http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html>

Ice axe?  Depends on both YOUR timing and the SNOW levels...  'Normal' years (and the 'wet' years -
such 2005 & 2006) I would definitely say "Yes"...  Will I carry one? - Yes (unless it is a 'dry' snow year
- and then it will have to be a last minute decision)...  The other question to ask yourself is "From
where and for how far to carry it?" - 'Normal' is for Kennedy Meadows to Tahoe (many have sent it
home at Tuolumne Meadows and regretted it)...  Again, it depends on the snow levels!...
And, as Matt pointed out - 2005 was a 'heavy' snow year in SoCal...  some wished they had an ice axe
in the San Jacintos (many thrus 'bypassed' Fuller Ridge due to the snow) and San Bernardinos...

Personal preference: initially Camp USA "XLA 210" (somewhat 'old school', but light weight), but now
I'm leaning toward the ULA "Helix" (carbon shaft, very light weight) - I wouldn't consider either one as
a serious "mountaineering" ice axe, but since we won't be "mountaineering" or on 'glacier' ice, either
would be more than sufficient for SNOW...  (That will probably stir some debate also!!!)
<http://camp-usa.com/module/product/detail.asp?ID=124>
<http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm>
Another 'debatable' question - "What length?"...  I'm still personally debating that one since I'm 'old
school' trained many years ago and will probably want the 'belay' potential (i.e. - a somewhat 'longer'
shaft)...

Have fun deciding - HYOH...  Good luck!  Happy trails!!!