[pct-l] Tipping

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Tue Dec 26 18:23:09 CST 2006

As a section hiker, I've visited just a few trail angels. I've made a
point to ask the host what is expected before throwing my bags down,
then asking how I can help. I don't assume that just because one, or one
thousand, previous hikers were treated generously that the next hiker
would receive the same treatment. Things may have changed, whether from
a family emergency or a bad experience. Greeting the host and inquiring
about a ride or place to stay, done with a genuine and friendly smile
and a considerate attitude, go far to making everyone comfortable. Don't
forget the "please" and "thank you."

Donna's thoughts are well worth reading again. Both at her home and at
the Anderson's, the generosity they provide is humbling and so
appreciated. Donna, I think if anyone trashed your place, 1,200 past
hikers would all hunt the culprits down for you and Jeff!

Donna and Jeff, Terri and Joe, thanks again!

AsABat

[mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
> On Behalf Of dsaufley
>
> I agree with your line of thinking -- it's human nature to have
(sometimes
> unreasonable) expectations, especially where services for remuneration
are
> concerned.  Clear communication about what is offered for the price
could
> negate that problem. Consistency is also an important factor. The
> "Drakesbad incident" this year came about because of inconsistent
> offerings -- over time, some hikers have been comped, and others
weren't,
> all of which was out there on Trail Journals and in the PCT Handbook,
> resulting in unclear expectations and a very unfortunate
misunderstanding