[pct-l] Tipping [was: Whores and the TahquitzInn]

S Daru darudiva at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 25 06:34:30 CST 2006

Hi,

When I first came to the US I thought I would know what to expect. I
had seen the movies, right? The thing is, I didn't. Like you, Craig,
we only tip for outstanding service and it is not necessary.

When discussing this with a friend we decided to always ask if people
would accept a contribution to the price of gas when hitchhiking, or
for staying at their house. Or we'd invite them for a drink, or
dinner. We'd send a picture, or something like that if they did not
accept money.

I think making your rules clear from the start is not always fun, but
it helps us foreigners a lot. We don't have 'Leave No Trace' policies
either, so I liked the fact that they were listed on permits and very
specific. Of course you can say things like a drill sergeant, or just
state them as fact and as normal fact.

Like my friend did, when we came to her house. She gently told us
that they don't wear shoes in the house and would I care for some
slippers.

Saskia / Sauce