[pct-l] PCT Ghost

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Dec 24 10:56:28 CST 2006

There are people, who I refer to as fringe dwellers, who live out in the desert areas in a fashion that is reminiscent of "Mad Max" movies. I spoke with a member of this type of community many years ago ('75 or '76) near Deep Creek, and it certainly was an eye-opener.  I plied him with questions like people do with long-distance hikers.  Apparently they survived by scrounging discards from more populated areas.  The young man I spoke with said that his little group had recently staged a retaliatory raid against another similar group.  He gave me directions I needed in exchange for a bottle of wine he spied in my car.  I've never forgotten the encounter or what it opened my eyes to.

L-Rod