[pct-l] Trail Ales

David Keller pctroadrunner at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 21:57:15 CST 2006

> >>So Cal
> >>has a relative dearth of good microbrew-style ales.

A dearth of good microbrews in So Cal?!?  It took a beer-related post to
finally get me fired up enough to contribute to the PCT list.  Of course,
the fact that I'm having a few fine southern California beers tonight is
probably also fueling my semi-outrage.  I must respectfuly disagree with the
above statement.  So Cal has many excellent locally brewed beers.  I suppose
they may not be available along the trail. . .but I do remember the store in
Idyllwild with the pizza place in it had a reasonable selection.

Although technically its more of a "meso-brewery" than a micro-brewery,
Stone Brewery has one of the best IPA's and Imperial Stouts out there (in my
opinion).    Pizza Port Brewing in Solana Beach, Carlsbad, and San Clemente
consistently put out some excellent, award-winning beers.  If I'm not
mistaken, I believe Pizza Port won the Great American Beer Festival's small
brewery of the year award in '04 and '03.  Their Doheny Double IPA, Poor
Man's IPA, and Dawn Patrol Brown Ale are excellent.  Oggi's Brewing has a
great stout and double IPA.  And even though its a chain, the Rock Bottom
Breweries in San Diego and Long Beach (and probably other places I haven't
been) usually have a couple of great beers and has at least one
cask-conditioned ale on tap.  Newport Beach Brewing Co. and Santa Barbara
Brewing Co. aren't too shabby either.  And once you move up into Northern
Cali. . .well, don't get me started ;)

Just had to defend to fine brewers of Souther California.

Cheers,

Aaron Keller (Roadrunner)