[pct-l] Learning

Mike Saenz msaenz at mve-architects.com
Wed Dec 20 18:42:10 CST 2006

Ok....
My two cents:

I didn't realize there was a need to "learn" how to walk....

Just get out and DO IT!

The rest will follow.

As been cited before: "Good judgment comes from experience, and often
experience comes from bad judgment."

But I prefer: "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability
to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their
apparent disinclination to do so."

Read just about every trail journal and you'll find that, even after a
year or more of planning and preparation, many Thru Hikers make
adjustments in their gear and routine after the first few sections.

I too have "taught" backpacking to newbies (I'm a BSA Backpacking Merit
Badge Counselor). No matter how much you lecture, newbies will gear up
as they think they need to. My favorite lesson is AFTER the trip- when I
ask a newbie to empty their pack and separate out all the things they
didn't use/need. The light usually goes on after that.

Ask anyone who's hiked with me since Campo, they'll tell you how my
approach to the PCT has evolved. Learn as you go. Enjoy the process of
learning itself!

Michael  Saenz
Associate Partner

MVE & Partners, Inc. | Architecture + Planning + Interiors
Irvine + Oakland + Honolulu

1900 Main Street, Suite 800 | Irvine, California 92614-7318 | T
949.809.3388 | www.mve-architects.com