[pct-l] Learning

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed Dec 20 18:23:10 CST 2006

Maybe some of you out there were born knowing how to backpack and thru
hike. I was not one of those.

When I started backpacking, I read Colin Fletcher's _The Complete
Walker_, talked to some others who already were and then went on short
Sierra Club trips. I kept learning as the years go by -- mostly learning
from what others are doing, sometimes by my own discoveries. I've even
taught a course or two on introduction to backpacking. I volunteered to
do this, spent my own money on preparation and didn't receive a cent.

I'm still learning and hoping to get back out on the trails next year.
I've lightened my load somewhat already and need to do more.

Would I pay to go to a workshop -- no. Would I even drive a long way to
go to a free workshop -- no. Why -- because I think I know most of the
basics and now am watching this list and learning from others so as to
improve.

But I've no negative thoughts about a workshop unless the instructor say
his/her way is the only way. And also what may be great for someone
doing a yo-yo may not be great for someone doing just a section.

Finally, the publicity garnered by Scott and "Flyin' Brian" (remember
him) help to keep backpacking and our trails alive.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>