[pct-l] My thoughts

Acu4harmony at aol.com Acu4harmony at aol.com
Wed Dec 20 02:32:12 CST 2006

One of the reasons I like the PCT so much is the hiking community it has.
The people. I have sacrificed a lot to spend as much time on the PCT as
possible. I still believe that it is the people who make half the experience for  me.
The trail has changed a great deal since I first hiked it in the early 90's,
and I can only imagine how drastic the change has been for people such as
Jon,  who it sounds like has been around for awhile. I believe that it is only
going  to continue to grow. Is this good? I guess it depends on how this growth
takes  place. As it has grown in popularity I have had several people approach
me  asking if I offer workshops. So I decided to offer some. I know this is
going to  really bother some people, who wish to see the trail remain true to
what it  founders envisioned. I have no intention of helping to accelerate the
issues the  trail faces, and if I were to see this happening, I would not want
to be part of  it which means I would discontinue anything I was doing to
perpetrate  this. First and foremost I hike because I love it. I have never made
a  cent off of the trail, but have spent a lot on it and yes I have even done
trail  work. I  have not sought media attention, it has found me, and to tell
you the truth it means nothing to me.  The only thing that can sustain a
hiker through all the challenges of the trail is a love and desire to be there.
Any other reason to me would not be worth it. I do not want to get into a war
with people who disagree with me on the list, that is not my nature. I really
 would rather people meet me and discuss it in person, because I have much to
say  on the subject and feel that it would be more constructive that way for
all. I have spent just as much time out there as the next guy and want the
PCT to remain the magic that it has been for me. Everyone is entitled to their
opinion and thankfully this forum allows this. With that said I am curious
to hear from what others have to say on this subject bad or good.  One  other
thing I am amazed at how many of you are night owls here on the list! Man  I am
tired time for some sleep, hiker midnight was hours ago! Thanks,  Scott