[pct-l] America the Beautiful – the National Parks and Federal Lands”,Interagency Recreation Pass Program Rollout

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed Dec 13 19:28:01 CST 2006

First of all, how much does it cost one to travel to a national park or
forest -- anywhere from a couple bucks (I live in Crescent City where we
have Redwood NP as well as Six Rivers NF close by) to several hundred to
thousand dollars depending on how far one travels. $80 per year is cheap.

Second, we have the ongoing "down sizing" of the Federal government
meaning lots less money for recreation and many of us, including me,
have had our taxes reduced by far more than $80. We collectively are
getting what we asked for. I think day-users such as picnickers should
also pay the fees -- I can't tell from the web sites if these users will
be required to pay. However in California, day-users of many state parks
are charged day use fees.

Third, if we aren't willing to pay to use the lands, how much do we
value our use?

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>