[pct-l] booties and more

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at citlink.net
Sun Dec 10 10:44:45 CST 2006

So, Monty...I had no idea that the mention of Frostline products would result in so much info, including essays re early gear.  I have a down sleeping bag from 'The Gerry System for Sleeping Warm.  It's the only backpacking bag I've ever owned (I'll have to go out and check the label).  It's a modified mummy,slanted box baffled, and to complete the system I needed a 3/4 length open celled foam pad in ripstop(I believe) nylon and the stuff bag that held the sleeping bag. The stuff bag and the insulating pad had snaps, I believe that when used, kept the stuff bag, which at night became a pillow, from sliding away from the bag.  The loft in the bag is still very good, I've washed it several times using down laundry soaps from REI.  I don't seem to have hurt it.  When Marshall Steel(e?) Cleaners was in business, they developed a process for cleaning down bags, etc. that was very good and didn't mess with the lanolin in the down like other cleaners did.  I took this 'system'  to Kick-Off and it was so warm, I slept on top of the bag one night.
I 'm pretty sure I have a couple of the Gerry brand squeeze tubes too, tho one may be marred by bear tooth marks from an incident at Illouwette (SP) Creek in Yosemite.  I also have some of the booklets, I'm a saver, much to Dennie's disgust.
Anyway, I'm sorry I got you involved in so much mail, when all you wanted was to buy, not make a pair of down booties.
Take Care....
Georgi
still no Trail Name