[pct-l] Staying Not-Dead (was: stay out of canyons)

Matt Bradley mattbradley1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 10:23:17 CST 2006

Hoplite,
     That is a very difficult and complex question you posed.  The short
answer would be "Make sure that you have prepared properly before hand".  By
this I don't mean that you should be toting all manner of survival gear.  I
am a firm believer that "the more you know, the less you need."  Anyone who
ventures out into the backcountry should have (or be pursuing) a thorough
knowledge of how to take care of his/herself in these sort of situations.
That knowledge includes not only general survival skills but also an
understanding of the environment you are in and where to find the things you
need to survive in it.  For the absolute expert, survival is easy in any
environment because nature provides for us.  I am certainly no such expert
and I very highly doubt that anyone on this list is either.  At any rate, I
am rambling, but here are a couple of places to go to educate yourself:
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival By: Tom Brown Jr.
98.6 Degrees: The art of keeping your ass alive! By: Cody Lundin
Desert Survival Skills By: David Alloway
David Alloway has passed on unfortunately, but Tom Brown and Cody Lundin
both run well respected survival schools and I recommend that you check them
out.
Best of luck!

--
Peace and Love,